Tuesday, February 9, 2010

SPS 'Face'-s Attack

Moment I switched on the television yesterday, I was in for a shock. SPS Rathore was attacked by a man posing as a journalist. News channels kept on rewinding the video clip of Rathore's face being stabbed thrice in succession within seconds. The culprit is said to have acted under severe depression. He was unable to bear the injustice ever since Ruchika Girhotra case was highlighted in the media.
As an onlooker, I was at first shocked and my immediate reaction was 'Oh my God, how brutal!'
On second thought, the feminist sense took over. There was a secret delight in seeing Rathore in pain. I am sure this pain was in no way comparable to the one Ruchika and her family had to bear for so many years. Poor Ruchika, I empathise with her. And so do others who are human beings.
I feel sorry for the stabber, Utsav Sharma, too. The despicable crime and delay in meting out justice for the dead victim perhaps was too much for him to bear in his state of depression.
I am sure there are many who must gnashing their teeth in anger at Rathore's crime, his smile, his smirks and even his face. Which is why one of these had to bear the brunt- this time, his face. SPS Rathore has become an emblem of unbridled power and the gory misuse of authoriy.
If our judicial system fails to provide speedy action and instill faith in general public, it wouldn't be surprising to see more and more people taking law into their own hands.
Till then, let's pray and have faith in the system.